Sunday, October 5, 2014

WEEKEND'S CHORES

Yes, it's a saturday morning and my little ones are not too happy with our weekend routine.  I know that they've been looking forward to the weekend just as much as I have, but the beds and the dishes will not wait till monday to be done.   

It was at the beginning of the year when I had a motherly epiphany.  What if my hubby and I were to (for whatever reason) not be there for our kids?  How would they be able to survive?  Have I done my best as a mom to prepare them?  It sounds very dramatic, but I've had too many losses in my life (different blog).  Sure it would've been easier to ponder if my kids were prepare to be responsible young adults?  Habits are created early on in life, not in the teenage years.  
Anyhow, after that "epiphany" the training began with the most simple of all task: making a PB&J sandwich.  Responsibilities since have grown to include doing the dishes (either both of them together and one of them with mom), choosing their clothes every night, and of course, cleaning their rooms every saturday (the beds are to be done daily, though sometimes the clock doesn't allow it).  I keep telling them that chores are because I love them too much that I'm training them to have a great future.  They don't seem to agree with me, but my mind is already set.  In fact, in just a few years, they'll be trained in doing laundry!  

I don't mind doing "things" for my kids.  After all, we chose to be parents and thought we weren't quite sure of how much work it was going to be, I still stand by my responsibility.  My responsibility, however, also includes building character, providing skills and shaping good citizens who can rely on their own through life. 

"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."
Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment