Monday, October 6, 2014

BUILDING CONFIDENCE

Yesterday, my kids began studying a new series at church.  For the next five weeks, my kids will embark on an adventure that will make them understand that God made them and loves them just the way they are.  I strongly believe that having confidence is a key to success.  Not the kind of cofidence that is popular right now where self entitlement breaks all boundaries.  I'm talking about the confidence that you know you were born with a purpose and that you should work hard to achieve your dreams.  As parents, we should work on building that confidence.  Kids needs words of encouragement every day along with discipline and total involvement from us, their parents.  A pinch of reality in a subtle kind of way is also needed to build such confidence.   Not all dreams will come true, but we should never stop dreaming, working hard, trying again and finding our purpose in life.  

Just last week, our 9 year old son tried out for the "upper grades" basketball team. Though he did play basketball this summer, we knew that he wasn't quite there yet.  My husband, who attended the tryouts, got to see how the 5th and 6th graders were more skillful than our 4th grader.  We never told our son that he was not good enough  But we chose to prepare him by letting him know that things don't always work out the way we expect or hope.  No matter what the outcome would be, we were proud of him for trying.  We had words of encouragement along with a pinch of reality.  Turns out he didn't make the team.  He was a bit down.  But I was relieved to know that our words had resonated in his heart as he echoed to me how he'll just have to work harder and try again next year.  He probably won't be the next Magic Johnson, but he's trying out, he's dreaming, he's pursuing.  One day, with our total support, he'll find his purpose in life. My kids fall is my fall, my kids success is my success! God has a special plan for each of them, is my job to build that confidence so they can find it.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14


No comments:

Post a Comment