Sunday, October 5, 2014

MILESTONES


Did you have one of those "MileStone" keepsake baby book for your child?  I did have one for each of my kids (I only got 2 kids).  And I so enjoyed filling them out.  Milestones in the first year are one after the other just passing before your eyes.  After that, the process slows down, sometimes making it hard to remember to write it down.  Well, this time I really won't forget the day my 6 year old baby girl (she's the baby) read her first chapter book because I'm leaving it imprinted in this blog.  Yes! I'm beyond excited with her accomplishment.  It was this summer while I was working on preparing her for 1st grade when I noticed that she was having troubles with her sight.  Af first I thought she was having problems remembering her phonics, but then my motherly instict kicked in and we took her to her pediatrician.  It was heartbreaking when the doctor told us she didn't pass her vision test.  But it was more heartbreaking when we took her to the optometrist who showed us how bad her sight was!  Long story short, she was seeing all blurry.  I remember being at the optometrist office swallowing my tears.  I felt like the most horrible mother ever.  How could I have not noticed her condition earlier? How did she handle learning her sight words and sounds in Kindergarten?  The guilt was eating me up.  But my hubby and I picked up ourselves and showed our parenting strength (fake, of corse) for the sake of our baby girl.   Long story short, she has been wearing her glasses since July and she looks fabulous!
Deep inside I still worry sometimes if she got the right prescription, if her glasses are really helping her...etc!  (just being a mom)
Our bed routine includes reading books every night.  She has been reading "easy level" books since 1st grade started back in August (I just correct some words sometimes).  But tonight, tonight she read her first chapter book.  A book with very little pictures and with small black letters.  She did good.  She read with confidence.  I barely had to help her.  As she read, I had to swallow my tears once again.  I'm a hot mess and I know it.  My kids mean the world to me and every milestone, specially in the midst of a stumbling block, it's an unmessurable joy to my heart.

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate." Psalm 127:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment