Friday, June 17, 2011

What’s a Butterfly Kiss, Anyway?

A butterfly kiss is that gentle feeling of the wings brushing against your cheeks, yet so powerful that it shivers your innermost.  That’s exactly what my muffin heads (cabezonsitos) do to me every single time.  I have to say that the reward of being a parent is pleasantly relived through those special moments.  

I had a butterfly kiss last night when putting my kids to sleep, and I’m still electrified by it.  Our daily bed time routine includes using the restroom, brushing our teeth, reading two books (1 for each kid) and saying a prayer. They each say their own prayer, but I always let them know of any special request so they may include it.  Debbie always cracks me up as her gentle prayers include from movies and cartoon characters to the neighbor’s dogs.  Don’t think I’m a bad parent, I don’t laugh out loud.  I hold it in and then talk about it afterwards with Javier, my husband.  Jesse, on the other hand, has such a compassionate approach to his prayers.  He doesn’t just pray for his family, friends and the pastors.  He prays for the church, for the vine groups, for the city for crying out loud!  It is really a gift.

Last night’s request was a bit complex.  But after explaining that daddy was at the hospital visiting a friend whose sister was very ill, they got the concept.  After all, they are brother and sister and understood the relevance of it all.  As we closed our eyes I listened to my son’s simple powerful words when all of the sudden I feel the brushing against my cheeks and my heart shivering…there it was as he exclaimed: Jesus, please help Carlos’s sister.  She’s at the hospital right now, but I know that you’re the best doctor ever!”  The kiss, I had a butterfly kiss that electrified my whole being and shake up my faith. I can only imagine how God must have felt to see how much He means to his little boy.

But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  Luke 18:16



1 comment:

  1. Great story. THank you so much for sharing....and please continue to use this avenue to Glorify our Lord and share how He is very real in your life. Great writing.....you indeed have a gift of writing. THank you again.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete